I will also be adding items to this blog including changing the name of the blog to coincide with the naming of our boat, as soon as we come up with one. We've had several great recommendations, but it's almost like naming your children, coming up with a name for our boat. More on that later.
It is now the 24th of October and we had planned a party to welcome our boat into the family. We had invited several 'boating' friends to join us at WEBC to see our boat and enjoy a little party. I'd made arrangements with the club for the party, got the club restaurant to provide food, the bar to provide drinks and the weather even helped by making it a nice fall day.
Up to this point I had tried to take Jane on a little cruise since the only time she was on our boat was up in CT when we took a little cruise before we purchased her (when the walk thru survey was done) but either the weather hadn't been good or there was too much wind or the like. I thought today before the party might be a good time for that little cruise.
Let me paint a little picture here. We are tied on the inside of the U, backed into the slip, which looks like all we need to do is to let loose the lines motor out of the slip, pivot right and exit the mouth of the U and down the river we can go. Let me enter here that the Delaware has about a 5' tide, a current that rips through the boat club and an inexperienced (in these circumstances) pilot handling our boat for the first time. For some reason, I also envisioned that our boat would exit in a perfect line out of the opening but each time I got lined up the current pulled me inside the U, upstream, until I finally realized that I would be exiting at an angle. I guess it wasn't too bad as the people who were watching, you know there always are people watching, only commented on the fact that WEBC is one of the hardest clubs to enter and exit from (except at slack tide) and there was also word circulating that I ran aground, which I didn't, at least this time.
It was a little trying getting out and time wasn't on our side but we got down river a little before, at Jane's insistence, we turned around and headed back to the dock. After the exit I wasn't going to try and get back in our slip so I aimed at tying up on the outside of the U (looking at the picture above I came in perpendicular to the big boat on the lower left).
As I was coming in, there is still a tide running, some of our guests were on the dock, some taking pictures, but all hands present turned out to help in the docking.
Once we were tied up we put out a little boarding ladder and guests came aboard. The following pictures show some of the guests going over the boat.
| Mike looking down from the upper Helm Station |
| Mike checking out his pictures |
| Zeke and Jane in the Main State Room |
| Bob in the Main State Room |
| Jane coming out of the Main State Room |
| Jane & Linda sitting and enjoying a beer on the sundeck |
There was plenty of food and conversation and I must admit I spent a fair amount of time between our boat and the club house where at this point, most of the guests were. Every so often a question would come up or a comment made and it was back to our boat again.
| Plenty of food for all |
| Great conversation |
But as is always the case, all good things usually come to an end. The party broke up and all the guests went home.
At the end of the day Chadd & I were going to put our boat back in the slip but when I pushed him away from the dock I couldn't get back on so he brought her back into the slip.
Now we need to tackle the clean out and the clean up and get ready for the winter and the work that we'll be able to do before spring launch.
More to come.
Now we need to tackle the clean out and the clean up and get ready for the winter and the work that we'll be able to do before spring launch.
More to come.

No comments:
Post a Comment